MIT Academy’s Winter Talent Show

Singers, musicians and a dancer entertained students and staff.

Alonso performs a traditional Mexican dance in the Winter Talent Show.
Johnell, Nate and Eric sang “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” at the Winter Talent Show.
Charlotte sang “What I’ve Done” by Linkin Park at the Winter Talent Show.

To end the 2022 fall semester, the ASB staff, headed by president Cecilia, and advised by Mrs. Saldana, decided to stage a winter talent show on Wednesday, November 21st, the last day before winter break.  Since it was a C day, the show took place during 6th and 8th periods.  The entire school was let out of those classes so all students and could attend.

Our hardworking facilities staff, Paul and Dave, set up a small stage at the bottom of the main lawn on which students performed.

The show started with Alison’s “Rick Rolling” the entire school with a rousing rendition of  Rick Astley’s  1980’s pop sensation “Never Gonna Give You Up.”  Then Stella sang “Na Na Na” by Alsa – a song about a young girls infatuation with an unnamed, and undescribed, boy.  Her twin, Bella sang “Fall in Love Alone” by Stacy Ryan, a song about a more reticent girl in love with a boy.

Katelyn sang “July” by Noah Cyrus.  Anasia France sang “Wish You Were Gay” by Billie Eilish.  Charlotte sang “What I’ve Done” by Linkin Park.

Johnell, Eric (in a sweet leisure suit) and Nate sang the Tears for Fears hit from 1985 “Everybody Wants to Rule the World.  (Hearing this was a relief for all the teachers who remembered when that song came out.)

Diego played the guitar melody to Nirvana’s “Come as You Are.”  It was another song appreciated by the teachers and written before all the students were born.

Adding a stodgy, classical flair to the show, Mr. Martin then played Beethoven’s Für Elise on his electric keyboard.

Alonso, dressed in full traje de charro costume which included a black embroidered sombrero, performed a Mexican dance set to “Gavilan, gavilancillo” by Juan Zaizar.

Perhaps the most talented student at MIT Academy Middle School, Noah, performed his heartfelt and beautiful, original song “I Want You” while playing the guitar.  (In the future, when he’s performing we need to have a microphone stand.  Victoria Hernandez stepped in to hold the mic for him while he played.)

Last minute additions to the talent show were when Charles decided to recite a speech given by a kid at the Steam Game Awards.  It ended up being an inside joke only known to a few people.  It was lost on nearly everyone.

Malachi, in a teddy bear suit, finished the show with a dance to set to Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You.”

All in all, the talent show was an amazing success.  It was great to see middle school students, who are usually self conscious, get out of their comfort zone and express themselves for their peers.

Finally, the winner of the door decorating contest was announced.  Mr. Martin’s Advisory will be getting the pizza party.